We previously communicated some restrictions specific to the transportation of batteries which fall under the Hazardous Materials regulations of USPS.
We have recently received further clarification from USPS on the transport of all Hazardous Material including, but not limited to the following:
- Lithium Batteries
- Nonspillable wet batteries
- Alcohol-based perfumes and colognes
- Nail polish
- Safety matches
Please review the following instructions and specific restrictions on the handling, labelling and shipping of Hazardous Materials. These restrictions are in place to ensure the safety of all handlers, and to ensure the safe and appropriate transportation of the items.
Please also note, if items which fall under the category of Hazardous Materials are found to be non-compliant with the following restrictions the items may be rejected and returned.
The full details of these restrictions can be viewed in USPS Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail.
726 Postal Service Handling
726.1 Acceptance Personnel
Note: For safety reasons, mailpieces containing hazardous materials that are not eligible for air transportation cannot pay postage at an Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail, First-Class Package Service, or First-Class Mail price, and must be marked “Surface Mail” or “Surface Mail Only.”
327 Transportation Requirements
327.2 Air Transportation Prohibitions
All mailable hazardous materials sent as Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail, First-Class Mail, or First-Class Package Service, must meet the requirements for air transportation. The following types of hazardous materials are always prohibited on air transportation regardless of class of mail:
- Anything susceptible to damage or that can become harmful because of changes in temperature or atmospheric pressures unless protected against the effects of such changes.
- Magnetic material that has a field strength sufficient to cause a compass deviation at a distance of 7 feet or more from any point on the outer packaging.
- Flammable materials (gases, liquids, and solids).
- Radioactive materials.
- UN3090 lithium metal batteries (including lithium alloy batteries) and UN3480 lithium-ion batteries (including lithium polymer batteries).
Chit Chats offers rates for USPS’ Parcel Select Service which can be used to ship Hazardous Materials which are prohibited from air transportation.
The USPS Surface Transportation Only label must also be attached to shipments which contain Hazardous Material as a further assurance of the accurate sortation of the shipment. Please see one of our representatives in branch to request a label for your shipment.