Starting July 2, 2019, Chit Chats delivery fees will be determined by the greater of dimensional or actual weight.
This change aligns with the common industry practice for shipping carriers to charge fees based on the size of the package rather than the weight alone. Referred to as dimensional weight, carriers will use this to determine fees because a large lightweight package can take up more space then a smaller package.
Our delivery fees are not changing but rather how they are determined will factor either dimensional or actual/scale weight starting July 2.
For example, take two identical ceramic pots and package them in two different boxes:
- Example 1: Small box (5 x 5 x 5″) – Actual weight 3 lbs
- Example 2: Large box (10 x 10 x 10″) – Actual weight 3 lbs
To calculate the dimensional weight of these examples, the same formula used by USPS is used: Length x Width x Height divided by 166.
- Example 1: Dimensional weight = 5 x 5 x 5 / 166 = 0.75 lbs
- Example 2: Dimensional weight = 10 x 10 x 10 / 166 = 6.02 lbs
- Example 1: The actual weight (3 lbs) is more than the dimensional weight (0.75 lbs) thereby the postage and Chit Chats delivery fee will be based on the actual weight of 3 lbs.
- Example 2: The dimensional weight (6.02 lbs) is more than the actual weight (3 lbs) thereby the postage and Chit Chats delivery fee will be based on the dimensional weight of 6.02 lbs.