This year has definitely been one for the books! The global pandemic catapulted shipping volumes to unprecedented numbers and businesses saw the impact it had on online shopping and the retail landscape.
Reviewing the year, we are grateful to be considered an essential business and we appreciate the patience and understanding of everyone. While things were uncertain at times, the effect the pandemic has had on so many does not go unnoticed. Our hearts and thoughts are with those who have been impacted as we know it continues to be a trying time.
As 2020 comes to an end, we always take this time to reflect on any successes and accomplishments. And this year, we still have so much to be thankful for! Let’s look back to 2020 and review the highlights of this year.
First and foremost, health and safety continue to be our top priority! In early March, we introduced contactless drop & go areas to minimize the spread and protect our staff, clients and community at large.
- We put our Health & Safety protocols in place to continue serving our clients while ensuring our teams were safe.
- As of October 31, 2020 masks became mandatory for anyone visiting our locations.
Communicating the many changes and delays during this year was definitely a challenge. In early Spring, things were changing so rapidly that we knew we needed a way to keep everyone up to speed.
- We added Carrier alerts to our tracking page, helping you and your customers see the specific delays for your shipments.
- Changes to our estimated delivery times helped us align with the delays to help manage expectations.
- Client alert notifications are the new way to see important updates right from your account. Access these alerts by clicking on the bell icon in the top right corner when logged into your account.
Online shipping skyrocketed thanks to the pandemic and carriers had difficulty managing the increase. Not to mention, there were additional costs due to limited transportation being available.
- For the first time, USPS announced peak surcharges for the holiday season.
- Insurance providers extended the timelines for filing claims due to the shipping delays.
- Canada Post mandated a volume capacity limit for their shipping partners. To continue to support our clients we implemented our Domestic Tracked alternative solution to minimize any service disruptions.
New Features & Improvements
- Carrier tracking became available once postage is purchased for our Canada Tracked service
- Launched Chit Chats Supplies for all your packaging needs
- Enhancements to usability for keyboards and screen readers
- Returns on the platform: Check the status of your return shipments from your account
- We welcomed Derek, the Virtual Support Bird to help address your most common questions
- Improvements to our Canpar courier pickups, tracking, carrier and contact us pages to help you know who to contact for what
- Kudos to our clients for reporting issues so we could identify and fix those pesky bugs!
- Shopify integration update so you can now select a default location for your orders
- Upvote this feature request if you want Shipstation to recognize Chit Chats tracking!
- Now over 50 locations! This year we added 4 new branches and additional drop spots
- All locations are now cash and debit free
- Stay tuned for our new Ottawa branch in the new year
These are just some of our favorite highlights of the year but we always share all the things we did in our monthly feature release notes.
We are grateful for each and every one of our clients and can’t wait to share what’s in store for next year. We appreciate all the feedback, support and love – we wouldn’t be here without you!
Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter where we share important updates and industry news that impact your business.
Plus, bookmark our blog as we always share valuable resources and tips related to e-commerce and shipping. And be sure to follow and like our social accounts!